Apply for this job
Apply no later than 26 February 2017
Apply for the job at DTU Food by completing the following form.
The National Food Institute (DTU Food) invites applications for a position as senior researcher and group leader for the research group Molecular and Reproductive Toxicology. We seek a group leader with international outlook and cross-disciplinary experience to lead the newly merged group in our strive towards an even stronger research position.
Our research seeks to improve on current methods for risk assessment of chemicals, both alone and in mixtures, and thereby contribute towards a healthier and more sustainable future. With a long tradition of elucidating adverse effects caused by fetal exposure to xenobiotics, our large research team employs a broad spectrum of approaches including in vivo rat studies, an array of in vitro assays, as well as in silico modelling approaches to contribute towards new and improved risk assessment strategies. Our research has particular focus on endocrine disruptors, both alone and in mixtures, and their effects on reproductive, neurodevelopmental and metabolic endpoints.
The group currently consists of 2 professors, 12 academics, 8 technicians and 5 PhD fellows.
Responsibilities and tasks
The position as senior researcher will focus on research within molecular and reproductive toxicology alongside functioning as group leader. A successful applicant must show good insight and a great interest in the major research fields investigated by the group, including: mechanisms of action, biomarkers, health effects, and toxicity prediction of chemicals. The group leader will also be responsible for research-based consultancy for the public sector, as well as teaching carried out by the group. The tasks of leading the research group are diverse, from solving specific scientific questions to contributing to cross-disciplinary activities within the division and the Institute, and also with external collaborators and stakeholders. Other tasks include:
- Development of strategies and research plans
- Further development of the research team
- Guidance and supervision of students, postdocs and researchers
- Attracting external research funding
- Dissemination of research results
- Facilitate collaboration with other research groups, both at DTU and with other institutes (Nationally and Internationally)
- Establishing collaboration with industry and exchanging knowledge with society.
- Hold a PhD degree as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as senior researcher
- Have a strong academic track record within one or more of the research fields covered by the Group
- Document experience in one or more of the following areas: toxicological mechanistic studies, adverse effect outcome and modelling, using in silico, in vitro or in vivo approaches.
Further desired qualifications:
- Leadership skills (strategy, research, personnel and resources)
- Demonstrated ability to attract research funding
- Significant international experience
- Thriving in an interdisciplinary environment
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- scientific production and research potential at international level within the field of research covered by the group
- innovative skills and the ability to generate new ideas
- the ability to communicate at all levels such as the provision of scientific advice to public sector authorities
- experience in teaching and education
- the ability to promote and utilize research results
- an all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience
- the ability to contribute to development of internal and external cooperation
For the specific position consideration will also be given to:
- Research group leadership skills
- Proven ability in attracting external funding
- Originality and long term vision of proposed research plans
- Proven track record in supervising PhD students
DTU offers an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. DTU is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The workplace will be at the new Life Science & Bioengineering building specifically designed to accommodate and facilitate our activities. The building is located at the DTU main campus in Kgs. Lyngby at the outskirt of Copenhagen.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Division Anette Schnipper, +45 3588 7523.
You can read more about DTU Food on www.food.dtu.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 26 February 2017.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications indicating scientific highlights
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Applicants are invited to submit a short research plan together with their application describing their visions and perspectives for the research group.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Food (The National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark) works within six technical focus areas: Biotechnology, nutrition, food quality, food safety, food technology and environment & human health. Activities cover a wide range of food products throughout the entire food chain from farm to table, comprising both research activities and research-based consulting and teaching.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,600 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.